A suppressor, also known as a silencer or can, is a small cylindrical device that fits onto the muzzle of a handgun or rifle and reduces the intensity of the sound during discharge. In some instances, it can be beneficial to use a fake suppressor instead of the real thing.
What's the Benefit of a Fake Suppressor?
Although fake suppressors don't perform like the real thing, they do provide some benefits for gun owners:
- Appearance: Firearm enthusiasts sometimes use the term "tacticool" to describe fake suppressors. While they provide no actual tactical value, the installation of a "can" on the muzzle can make the gun appear more formidable.
- Better control: Installing a fake suppressor increases the gun's forward weight, making it easier to control when firing.
- Fewer restrictions: Although suppressors are legal to possess and use for lawful purposes in 42 of the 50 states, they do come with certain restrictions. For instance, you typically must register them and obtain a tax stamp. Fake suppressors are legal just about everywhere and don't require a tax stamp.
- Increasing barrel length: In the United States, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) heavily regulates the ownership and use of short barreled rifles (SBRs). This term refers to a rifle that is fired from the shoulder and has a barrel measuring less than 16 inches. It also describes a handgun equipped with a barrel and buttstock with a combined length of under 16 inches. Permanently installing a fake suppressor with a pin-and-weld process can increase the firearm's overall length and avoid the SBR classification.
Types of Fake Suppressors
Wing Tactical carries several fake suppressor versions that fit a wide variety of guns, including "fake cans" from Spike's Tactical. These suppressors provide the cosmetic look of a short barreled rifle — and they're entirely legal. The thread-on design enables you to install them without tools and they fit inside most rail systems.
They're made from 6061 aluminum bar stock that enhances their durability and contributes to their "tacticool" appearance. They also have the same hard-anodized finish as their "real thing" counterparts. You get the look of a genuine suppressor, but without the tax stamp, registration hassles and potential legality issues.
You can select from two Spike's Tactical fake suppressor options:
- SD-1: This slipover can covers approximately 7 inches of your gun's barrel and weighs 6.2 ounces. It's compatible with firearms that have a .223/5.56 0.750" barrel and a 1/2"-28 thread pitch. The outer diameter measures 1.49 inches, while the inner diameter measures 1.25 inches.
- CAR-1: This fake suppressor is a good choice for longer barrels, as it measures only 5.5 inches. At 6.5 ounces, it's heavier than the SD-1, although it won't impede control of the gun.
Both fake suppressors come with Spike's limited warranty for extra peace of mind.
Contact Wing Tactical to Learn More
When you purchase fake suppressors or anything else from Wing Tactical, you get a brand-new product that comes with our hassle-free 30-day return policy. Next-day shipping is also available with all orders. Purchase your fake suppressor online today or contact us for additional information.