Custom Handgun Parts
Handguns are one of the most popular and owned firearms. From the moment of its conceptual creation as far back as the 15th century to the advancements brought forward by Samuel Colt and his revolving gun, John Browning and his 1911, or even Gaston Glock, handguns have captivated shooters and gun owners from the beginning.
Handguns, which are classified by the government as “a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand,” are in fact so much more to the millions of people who own and operate them. To us, they are a hobby, a defense, a tool, a skill, a competition, and a passion. Whether we shoot recreationally, shoot competitively, or even defend our cities and country in the military or law enforcement, we care about the functionality, features, gear, and skills we have with our handguns. And whether we find ourselves on the range or in the line of fire we are always looking to improve our skills and marksmanship.
Working on marksmanship begins with our own ability but does not end there. The equipment and gear we utilize have a big impact on our effectiveness and skills. Having the right gear and custom handgun parts for our pistols can make all the difference, so make sure you equip your pistol with the tactical handgun parts you need. If you are looking to take your Glock, M&P, or any handgun to the next level check out our selection of custom handgun parts for your pistol.
Handguns: The Basics
While many of us have shot hundreds if not thousands of round at the range, in competitions or in the line of fire, going to back to basics of handguns gives a better understanding of our impressive pistols and better appreciation for their function.
For any shooters looking to brush up on their terminology or new shooters looking to learn more, knowing your basic handgun terminology will give you a better understanding of your handgun and will help you when it comes to adding custom upgrades or tactical gear to your handgun.
First, the distinction between handgun and pistol. In common gun conversations many people use and contextually understand handgun and pistol to be interchangeable parts. Many of use them interchangeably but understand their technical differences. A pistol is specific type of handgun in which the chamber is an integral part of the barrel, example a Glock 17. While a handgun like the Ruger SP101, a revolver, can not be classified as a pistol because its chamber’s revolving characteristic. Pistol and handguns following the old saying if you have heard it that all pistols are handguns but not all handguns are pistols, like all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.
And speaking of squares, to make you don’t stick out like one while talking gun talk with your range buddies or other gun enthusiast, these are the core of handgun terminology to know:
What are the Main Parts of a Handgun:
- Frame: the frame, just like with a house, is the structure of your pistol and what your other major parts attached to
- Barrel: the barrel is rifled (grooved) hollow tube that the bullet travels down on its way to the bullseye (hopefully). The length of the barrel has an affect on the exit velocity of the bullet. Getting a custom handgun barrel are a great way to improve velocity, durability, and accuracy
- Slide: The slide is the mechanism extracts spent casings and chamber the next round. The slide is the top portion of the handgun, often made of a durable metal. Another common handgun upgrade is getting a custom pistol slide
- Magazine: Lastly themagazine is what contains the ammunition and helps to properly fed the ammunition into the chamber and barrel
Other Handgun Terminology To Know:
- Ammunition: The ammunition, commonly referred to as the ‘cartridge’ or ‘round’ is the collection of casing, primer, powder and projectile (bullet). The ammunition is not the bullet allow. Saying ammunition is just a bullet is like saying a car is just an engine.
- Trigger and Trigger Guard: The trigger, no surprise here, is the mechanism that releases the hammer and starts the firing process of the handgun. Trigger guard, you guessed right, is the material surrounding the trigger of your handgun. For many shooters, the interaction with the trigger can be biggest cause of inaccuracy. One of the best custom handguns parts to get for any pistol, is a custom handgun trigger. This can greatly help to ensure elite accuracy.
- Hammer and firing pin: The hammer, like mentioned above is released by the trigger and strikes the firing pin, which is a hardened pin centered behind the primer of the ammunition. When struck by the hammer the firing pin impacts the primer cap and fires the bullet
- Double Action vs Single Action: Pistols can come in two actions double and single. Double action is when the act of pulling the trigger both cocks the hammer and releases the hammer into the firing pin (a.k.a doing two actions or double action). While a Single action handgun simply releases the hammer impacting the firing pin.
- Feeding: The action of feedingis the first action in the pistol cycle and is when the cartridge moves from the magazine toward the chamber and barrel
- Chambering: Chambering, the second chronological action, is when the cartridge moves into the chamber and barrel
- Locking: Locking, the third step in the cycle, is when the barrel and slide of the pistol lock to together mechanically in preparation for firing
- Firing: Next is firing, when the firing pin it’s the primer, the powder in the ammunition lights, and the projectile is forced out through barrel from the pressure build-up
- Unlocking: Unlocking, the opposite of locking and the next step in the cycle, is when the slide and barrel mechanically unlock from each other to extract and eject the spent chasing
- Extracting: The slide mechanism moves rearward and in the process, the extractor begins to pull the spent chasing from the chamber
- Ejecting: The ejector kicks out the spent chasing through the ejection port
- Cocking: Lastly, cocking is when the trigger and firing pin reset to begin the process of the pistol again
Along with handgun terminology to know, and especially for the history buffs out there, here is also a little handgun history.
1400s: While many of the handgun and primarily pistol advancements came in the late 19th and early 20th century forward, the conceptual idea and fundamentals of a handgun have been in existence since as far back as the 15th century. The first known handgun was a slow-burning matchlock gun and was used in the Europe.
1500s: From there the handgun drop the slow burning match and replaced it with a mechanism that was made up of a steel wheel that would spin against a pyrite material to strike it and make a spark.
1600s: Fast forwarding a 100 years, the flintlock pistol was introduced. The flintlock pistol gain immense popularity because of its improved efficiency at creating a spark. For these firearms, pulling the trigger struck a piece of flint, resulting in the ignition that fired the gun.
Early to Mid 1800s: The flintlock gun remained popular until the rise of the caplock gun in the early 1800s. This new gun operated by using a percussion cap to set off the main reaction instead of a piece of flint. In the mid-1800s, the revolver was also developed, and handguns gained the capability to shoot multiple consecutive rounds.
Late 1800s: By the end of the 19th century handguns had moved away from musket balls and lose gun power to all in one cartridges we know and shoot today. From there we have innovators like Colt, Browning, Winchester, and Glock bring us the modern firearms we have today.
Late 1900s: Along with the continued advancements in manufactured pistols, the late 20th century brought an equal advancement and popularity in aftermarket custom handgun parts. Along with improving handguns at their design, many gun experts developed custom handgun parts like match grade triggers, fluted custom barrels, and tactical slides that can improve the performance of any standard pistol.
The Most Popular Handguns Today
While everyone certainly has their preference when it comes to handguns, there are some models that have been particularly popular with shooters alike. Many of the models are capable up being upgraded with various custom handgun parts. This is a list of the most popular handguns in the USA today:
- Smith & Wesson M&P Series: Popular for law enforcement, personal protection and competition alike, this gun is popular for its reliability, ergonomics and gentle recoil.
- Smith & Wesson Shield: This is a slimmer single-stack model of the popular M&P. Like the M&P, this handgun is known for its high level of reliability and the infrequency with which it malfunctions.
- Glock G29: This striker-fired semiautomatic might not look very powerful, but don’t be fooled. It’s built for a 10mm cartridge and delivers huge power levels, making it an ideal option for those venturing into bear or mountain lion territory.
- CZ-USA 85 Combat: A great choice for both competition and personal protection, this particular model provides adjustable sights, ambidextrous controls and a drop-free magazine.
- Dan Wesson Specialist: This model was designed for use by law enforcement and features ambidextrous thumb safety, tritium night sights and 1913 accessory rail.
- Ruger MK III: The Ruger Standard .22 was the original classic to come from one of the U.S.’s greatest gun manufacturers. The Ruger MK III is a more refined and updated version of this original classic. It’s known for its extremely reliable nature and is a perfect choice for a small self-defense handgun.
- Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle: Featuring a gas-assist operated system, this handgun is extremely reliable, with testers trying and failing to get it to malfunction. It’s another ideal choice for a small personal defense handgun.
- Springfield Armory XD(m): An upgrade from the classic XD model, this is a polymer-framed striker-fired handgun that’s great whether you’re interested in competition or just self-defense.
- Colt Defender: This model offers a 3-inch barrel and comes in .45 ACP or 9mm. It’s constructed from stainless steel and has a durable Cerakote finish.
- Glock G19: This classic model is widely considered to be one of the best guns Glock has ever built. It’s a 9mm compact and is extremely reliable no matter the conditions, making it a perfect option for personal defense.
- Ruger SR1911: Based on the original design by John Browning with a few added upgrades and refinements, this 1911 is built from stainless steel and is a highly affordable model.
- Browning Buckmark: This model offers a target crowned barrel and adjustable sights, making it an easy and affordable handgun that’s enjoyable to shoot.
Custom Handgun Parts and Accessories Offered by Wing Tactical
Now, if you are looking to take your handgun marksmanship to the next level and get your hands on custom and tactical handgun parts take a look at our selection, selected and tested by shooters for shooters.
Tactical Handgun Sights
Sometimes, no matter how much you love your handgun model, you just aren’t satisfied with the sight. Or maybe you’re satisfied with it but you’re looking for something additional to add on for certain conditions and situations.
Whatever it is you’re looking for, we carry plenty of tactical handgun sights for you to choose from. We offer sights that are appropriate for day shooting, night shooting and everything in between, as well as sights that are specifically designed for high-stress situations, quick target acquisition and more.
In addition to the wide variety of specialized sights, we also ensure that we offer sights compatible with all your favorite handguns. We sell custom sights for Glocks, Smith & Wesson, Springfield and Ruger, so that no matter what you shoot, you’ll be able to find what you’re looking for.
Custom Pistol Slides
It’s one thing to have a pistol slide that simply gets the job done. It’s another thing entirely to have exactly the pistol slide you want. That’s why we offer custom pistol slides so you can always equip your handgun with the very best.
Our custom slides are designed to be compatible with Glock pistols and allow for greater precision and accuracy in your shooting. They also provide a more comfortable and functional grip, ensuring your Glock is at its best every time you use it.
Custom Handgun Barrels
Not quite happy with the standard barrel your handgun was equipped with when you purchased it? Or maybe you’re looking for something a little more specialized or better-suited to a specific situation you encounter frequently. Whatever kind of custom barrel you’re looking for, we think you’ll find it here.
We provide a varied selection of custom barrels. Some of our custom barrels are specifically designed to increase your handgun’s reliability, while others specialize in greater accuracy, durability and longevity. Our high-quality custom barrels will make an excellent addition and upgrade to your Glock.
It’s not hard to imagine why having a custom grip is important. Some shooters might prefer a firmer grip while others might like a bit more cushioning. When it comes to something like this, one size certainly does not fit all — and it’s important that you install the grip that works best for you.
At Wing Tactical, we offer you your choice of grips with an enormous selection of styles. Choose one that fits your model of handgun. Decide whether or not you want finger grooves or what other style and performance specifications you might have. After installing one of our custom grips, you’ll never want to go back to your old one.
Custom Match Grade Triggers
The custom triggers we sell can provide your firearm with an assortment of different benefits depending on which trigger you choose. Some of our triggers are designed to help with finger placement and others to focus on reducing trigger-over travel and reset distance. Try one of our match grade triggers and see the difference they make on your handgun.
While custom handgun sights, slides, barrels, grips and triggers are the most popular categories of custom handgun parts we sell, they aren’t the only ones. We also sell many other handgun parts and accessories that can all work together to make your handgun more accurate, reliable and durable.
The Brands We Carry
We know brand names carry a lot of weight with our customers. We understand that you probably feel a strong sense of loyalty to certain brands and that you trust some brands exclusively over all others. That’s why we make it a priority to carry parts and accessories from many different brands known for their high build quality. You’ll always find a product you trust. Review the entire list of brands we stock and browse the different products offered by each.
Browse Custom Handgun Parts at Wing Tactical Today
Here at Wing Tactical, we know how important it is to customize your firearms with custom handgun parts. That’s why we’re excited to provide you with top-of-the-line products that will help your handgun become the best it can be. By using our custom parts, your handgun will stand head and shoulders above any standard model.
We also know that everyone has their own preferences about models and brands, which is why we’re careful to stock parts that will suit a vast array of guns. No matter what type of handgun you prefer, you’ll be able to find something with us.
We put a high priority on the customer experience and pride ourselves on offering unbeatable customer service. We want you to feel comfortable as you do business with us and confident in your purchases. That’s why we offer a 30-day return policy. If you buy something from us and aren’t satisfied with it for any reason, we’ll take it back within 30 days — no questions asked.
We’re confident you’ll love your new upgrades when you buy custom handgun parts at Wing Tactical. Browse our catalog of handgun products today and give yourself an edge. If you have any questions at all, contact us and we’ll be happy to help.